Charleston Trip - Part 1

As I mentioned in the last post, we went to Charleston to celebrate my 30th birthday/New Years. If you haven't been to Charleston before, just go ahead and open a new tab on your web browser, book your flights, make your hotel reservations and I can give you a list of good tours and restaurants - I promise, you won't be disappointed!

I have been dying to go to Charleston for years now and the city was everything I had expected and more! Full of history, charm, and good food, it cannot be beat!

Branch absolutely out did himself planning a trip for me! It was supposed to be a surprise (I wanted to go on a trip for my 30th, but I didn't want to know where we were going) but as soon as I knew he had booked flights I cheated and looked up our reservations on Southwest.com #BadAlly

We stayed at the stunning John Rutledge House Inn which is located in the historic district of Charleston.
Our room came with a working fireplace!



 Breakfast in bed every morning? I'll take it!

The Inn was charming and historic (and thank goodness for the modern bathrooms!).

For New Years Eve, Branch made reservations at Circa 1886 which is located at the nearby Wentworth Mansion Hotel. The restaurant is in the old carriage house, which they converted into a warm and inviting space.


We arrived early so that we could tour the Wentworth Mansion and take a trip to the rooftop cupola where we had 360 degree views of the city and the water!



The majority of the trip was spent walking around, eating at incredible restaurants, taking tours, and taking in the colorful buildings. I have a weakness for doors and Charleston's door game was on point!





Charleston is serious about preserving it's history, especially in the historic district where any changes to the exterior must be approved and original materials used. It means that the homes are pricey and that imperfections are common.

 Notice the lean?


For instance, this brick wall used to be an old warehouse that burned down but the wall remained. The interior is currently a parking lot (and the wall was adjusted to make room for the tree, which is also protected). We learned that someone actually bought the lot and will be building a house there, but they must build it inside the wall, and can't cut down any of the tree!

There are so many beautiful details throughout the city. Lots of ornate iron work:


And the city feels very green, even though there is little no to yard space.




We were treated to some very beautiful weather while visiting!



And had a great time checking out some of the more iconic tourist spots by the water.




I'll be back soon with pictures from the rest of our trip!

Love y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts