Hot (and cold!) in Cleveland!

Hi all!

We are back from wonderful Cleveland and I have so much to share :)

We originally presented the idea of going to Cleveland to my Dad for his 70th birthday this past July. For those of you who don't know, my Dad had a major heart surgery this summer, so I wanted to make sure there was plenty of time for him to heal before going on a trip. Fortunately, he's doing really well health-wise, and we were all able to meet in Cleveland this past weekend!

Our good friends, Ted and Bridget, recently moved to Cleveland after Ted accepted a position with the Cleveland Browns. #bossman He was kind enough to invite us all up for a visit and the birthday celebration plans were made! We flew in Friday afternoon and Ted picked us up from the airport and took us straight to the Browns practice facility, where his office is located, to give us a tour. Man, was it cool! I wish we had taken pictures, but you'll just have to trust me when I say it's a pretty impressive facility! We even got to say "Hi" to starting quarterback Josh McCown as he was walking out for the evening.

That night, Ted and Bridget took us to an awesome dinner downtown at Green House Tavern. Their brussel sprouts are OUT OF THIS WORLD. Seriously. We ordered three servings!

The next day, Branch and I met up with my Dad and Stepmom for a tour of Cleveland :) We started with a trip to the Slavic Village where we had lunch at an authentic Polish restaurant.


Everything was so yummy! The restaurant was located in a building that had been built in 1911, and was originally a pharmacy. Everything was original to the space - the plaster ceilings, built-ins, even the rolling ladders. So neat!


My dad was born and raised in Cleveland, and since I've never been, I wanted a little tour of where he grew up. First we drove by the house he grew up in:


And got to see the awesome park that he played in nearly everyday, located directly across the street.

That's the hill that he and his brother would sled down

We got to see where he went to elementary and high school. We also heard stories about his bike trips to the poultry store where he would literally pick out a live chicken and they would kill it, strip it, clean it, and send it back home with him to his mother! Oh how times have changed!

 The two schools were right next to each other


He drove us through some of the beautiful old neighborhoods of Cleveland, like Shaker Heights, and showed us where he went to college - John Carroll University.

Unfortunately, my dad lives in Florida, so I don't get to see him as much as I would like, so getting to spend this time to learn this piece of his history really meant the world to me :)

That evening, we met back up with Ted and Bridget to check out their future neighborhood - Ohio City. We had beers at Market Garden Brewery and then had another great dinner in neighboring Tremont at a restaurant called Fahrenheit.


Sunday was the big event - the Browns game! Unfortunately, the weather wasn't as awesome as it had been (it was in the 70's on Saturday, but we woke up to low 50's and rain on Sunday), but it wasn't anything that a few extra layers and ponchos couldn't fix!

 My Dad might be a Cleveland native, but he sure hates the cold!



Ted was amazing and got us all field passes so we could go down and check out everything up close before the game started. It was such a special treat!!





 Ponchos are SO flattering!






Unfortunately, the game ended with a loss for the Browns but we all had a good time! It was definitely a great experience!




We're so grateful to Ted and Bridget for being such amazing hosts! They really know how to show their guests a good time :) Another huge thanks to my mom for keeping Easton for the entire weekend! I know they had so much fun together and I can't wait to share pictures from his stay!

I've got a ton of posts lined up so I'll be back soon - love y'all!



Comments

Popular Posts